Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Lesson: Patience & Suffering
By Brita Crouse

“Be…patient in affliction…”

Being hundreds of miles from familiarity forces you into independence.

I had come to love the newfound freedom college life provided. I joined Bible studies, attended chapel services, regularly went to church, and almost always went to the weekly prayer meeting on the floor where I lived. I was taking advantage of opportunities to deepen my faith in a safe and supportive environment.

I had dozens of people pouring into me and growing me as a student, as a lover of Jesus, and simply as a human. I was in the early stages of what would become lifelong friendships. I knew I was surrounded by women who would challenge me, love me and encourage me no matter what.

Hindsight gives you 20/20 vision, right? It’s easy to look back and have a better understanding of why things happened the way they did. But when you are in the moment, it’s hard to have understanding. It’s hard to be patient in the midst of affliction.

“Your mom called while you were gone. She said to call her back as soon as possible,” my roommate said to me as I was coming home from my weekly Bible study. I should have known. I should have sensed what was to come, but I didn’t. I didn’t know what news was about to change my life.

So I called my mom, only to get a panicked dad on the other end. The cancer.  It’s back. It’s leaving a 0% chance of survival. Come home. Now.

My roommate knew. She had talked to my mom earlier, and she sensed something was wrong. I found myself collapsed in my dorm room, tears streaming, my hands held and Scripture being read over me.

“I am the [wo]man who has seen affliction…” [1]

Just shy of three weeks later, the cancer was gone. And so was she. Her suffering had ended. Ours had not. God tells us to be joyful in all circumstances, to always give thanks. We have reason to.

My patience had ended as my affliction was beginning.

I stopped going to Bible study. I stopped attending church and chapel. I stopped engaging with others. I was so deeply wounded. I wanted to rebel. I was a child directly disobeying her Father. I became hollow and superficial, turning to damaging habits and bad routines. I was desperate for healing, but I refused help. It was going to take something BIG to make me change.

GOING DEEPER:
1.       What situation is currently teaching you patience?
2.       How are you or someone you know experiencing affliction? How can you give thanks to God for these things?

[1] Lamentations 3:1

FURTHER READING:



Brita is a licensed K-12 School Counselor and works as the Non-Public Counselor in Roseville, Minnesota. For the past eighteen years, she has called Oakwood her home church.