Friday, November 18, 2016

Who Do I Believe?
By Tracy Smith

“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
1 John 4:4 (NIV)

I worry too much. I talk too much. I weigh too much. I’m a bad mom. I’m a bad friend. I’m a bad Christian. I’m a bad wife. I’ve failed. Do these kinds of thoughts weigh you down? The enemy loves for us to believe the lies; to bring us down; to make us feel like failures. When we are focused on all we feel we are doing wrong, we cannot be focused on what God wants us to be doing for Him.

The first time I heard the song, “Greater” by MercyMe, was a powerful reminder to me.

Bring your tired
Bring your shame
Bring your guilt
Bring your pain
Don’t you know that’s not your name
You will always be much more to me…

Bring your doubts
Bring your fears
Bring your hurt
Bring your tears
There’ll be no condemnation here
You are holy, righteous and redeemed…

There’ll be days I lose the battle
Grace says that it doesn’t matter
‘Cause the cross already won the war
He’s Greater
He’s Greater
[1, emphasis mine]

I’m holy, righteous and redeemed. I’m not condemned. Some days I will lose the battle, but it’s okay because Jesus is greater than all my fears, all my shame, and anyone or anything that might try to make me feel like I’m failing.

But who am I in Jesus? What can I remember to replace the fears, the shame, the failure? Our church website has a great resource of Bible verses and statements of who we are in Christ. See the link in the Further Reading section for the whole list, but here are a few examples:

I am God’s child (John 1:12)
I am forgiven (Ephesians 1:8; Colossians 1:14)
I am secure (Ephesians 2:20)
I am adopted as His child (Ephesians 1:5)
I am God’s workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Read the list in the link below and commit to memory the ones you need to remember the most at this time in your life.

FURTHER READING:
Click here read a list of verses and statements of “Who I am in Christ.” It’s a great resource!


Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage sons, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood and works with a great group of Junior High girls.


Click HERE to listen and watch a video of the song