Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Clock is Ticking
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered  - - how fleeting my life is.”
Psalm 39:4 (NLT)

Author Update:  This devotional thought was originally written 2 years ago.  Now that time has marched a bit, my updated thoughts are in italics.
=================================================================
Most of us are slaves to the calendar. We count down the shopping days to Christmas, the days to a vacation, or a birthday.

Recently, I was discussing with a friend how time was flying with our high-school sophomores. The comment was made that we have three years left with them at home…which turns into just over 1,000 days.  (These kids are now SENIORS – yikes!)

1,000 days doesn’t seem like much time to influence and mentor your child into young adulthood.

So I started thinking…here is the countdown to some of my upcoming milestones…

170 days until my grandmother’s 90th birthday celebration and family reunion
205 days until our daughter’s graduation
282 days until she leaves for college
660 days until my youngest starts high school  Already happened
1,250 508 days until my 25th wedding anniversary
2,130 1383 days until my youngest heads off to college
2,530 1788 days until my next “decade” birthday
8,036 7267days until retirement – hopefully less!

Psalm 90:12 says, “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (NIV) I wonder if we all sat down and actually did that…numbered our days. I wonder how we could use that to influence others. Would we waste less time? Would we spend more time with things that matter? When we realize our time is limited, how would we change the way we spent our time with our loved ones, with getting to know our neighbors and co-workers, or volunteering in our churches and community?

As predicted, the1000 days are rushing through my world.  In the last 2 years, the growth and challenges came quickly…some expected (learning to drive!), some not (remember high school?). One thing I have learned: there is a power in being aware and intentional in spending our limited time wisely. Don’t waste it.

GOING DEEPER:
  1. Figure out the number of days to some of your milestones (hint: Google “countdown timer” for a help with this).
  2. How can you resolve to be deliberate in impacting others?

FURTHER READING:

Along with caring for her family, Carolyn works as an insurance representative, serves in Oakwood Church as a Community Group leader and a High School home group leader.