Friday, September 25, 2009

The A-List
By Susan Klein

“God saw all that He had made, and it was very good.”
Genesis 1:31

Growing up, my son always had a passion for acting. He acted in school plays, church dramas, and community theatre. When it came time to decide on a course of study for college, he chose drama. After much thoughtful consideration during his freshman year, he realized just how difficult it would be to ever get on the A-list (most bankable actors list) in Hollywood. He opted for another career path.

My daughter recently discovered she has a penchant for tennis. She tried out for the JV team at school and was immediately put on the B-team because of her lack of prior team experience. She had to prove herself on the court to get bumped up to play in some of the A-team games.

In many areas, our society has developed a rating system to determine our value. There are major leagues, and minor leagues, varsity and junior varsity, A-teams, B-teams and select teams, The A, B, and C lists of Hollywood, corporate elites ...The list goes on and on! Wouldn’t we all like to be in the “A” category? But only a select few ever get there. Many of us just hold an “average” value in the eyes of the world.

There is one area of my life where I know for certain that my value is great. Someone actually put His Son’s life on the line for me because He values me so much. He hand-picked me for a high position, seated up there with Him in the heavenly realms. I am on my Heavenly Father’s A-list! His Word says He takes great delight in me; I am precious to Him! I don’t have to perform great feats or possess amazing talents and skills to earn my way onto this list. There was nothing I could do to get on it, even if I tried. After everything He created, (including me) He said, “It is good.” I’d like to think He said, “It is A-mazing!” “She is A-mazing!” The only reason we are on His A-list is because He created us and chose us before the creation of time to be His children. That’s it! Nothing more. He values us, as is!

And, if we truly value Him more than the things of this earth, we won’t worry if we are not on the A-lists and A-teams here on earth. We will rejoice in being on the greatest list ever developed, His A-mazing list!

GOING DEEPER:
1. In what areas of your life are you struggling with “measuring up” to someone else’s high standards?
2. What might be keeping you from believing that you are truly A-mazing to God?

FURTHER READING:
Matthew 10:30-32; Luke 10:20

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.