Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Star Light, Star Bright
By Jen Wollner

“God’s there, listening for all who pray…”
Psalm 145:18a (MSG)

Star light, Star bright,
first star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might
have the wish I wish tonight.

This simple poem brings back a lot of memories for me. Memories of my childhood and the countless times I “wished upon a star,” hoping my dreams really would come true. In these times, I was desperately searching for an understanding, listening ear and for someone or something to display some semblance of power over my out-of-control circumstances. If I’m being totally honest, in the depths of my heart, my desires are still the same. Maybe yours are, too. We all want to be heard…really heard…and be met with compassion and unconditional love. In the parts of our being that we rarely dare to admit, we crave security, validation and acceptance. It doesn’t take very long for us to figure out that we can’t get those needs fulfilled by talking to the brightest star in the night sky, though, does it?

As a young girl, I didn’t fully grasp that there was Someone who loved me and heard my every wish…and it wasn’t a star in the sky, but rather the Creator of all the stars! I didn’t realize back then that God desired to have an intimate relationship with me. That He desired to be the hope I was searching for and the empathetic ear I longed for. I also didn’t understand that He was the One who was sovereign and that He controlled the circumstances of my life…the good, the bad and the ugly. And, maybe the best part of all, He wanted to be right in the middle of it with me…sheltering me in the shadow of His wings, holding me in the palm of His hand. Oh, what comfort we find in knowing that the Lord listens to us when we call on Him. He cares about our every wish, dream, desire and need. And, He is powerful enough to fulfill each one.

If I were to re-write this well-known nursery rhyme to more accurately reflect the Truth, I think it would go something like this:

Wishing on a star
didn’t get me very far.
But, praying to the Creator,
well, nothing could be greater!

GOING DEEPER:
1. If wishing on a star were an effective means to obtaining what you needed, what would you wish for today, be it big or small? Take a moment now and tell God…He’s listening!

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 34:17

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children under the age of 6. Jen heads the Fresh Start ministry and is on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.