Friday, September 18, 2009

The Perfect Day
By Karen D’Amore

“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
Psalm 118:24

Morning came softly…no alarm clock…no phones…no clatter…just fingers of sunlight stretched through the window tickling my eyelids. Poking through my grogginess, the warm sun beckoned me from my slumber. The empty house begged me to crank up the praise music loud enough to dance and sing along.

Busyness silenced by a blank day in my appointment book, JESUS was penned across the day. No appointments or deadlines, no commitments, no to-do list…a day set aside to spend alone with Him. Suffocating from a relentless schedule, conviction cried out from my heart to stop the cycle of busyness. With the scales of balance tipped out of control, the priorities of my schedule were in need of major tweaking. Jesus had been sidelined on far too many days, left to savor the leftover morsels of my time. Though much of my busyness was in doing things for Him, I had neglected the intimacy of being with Him.

Anxious to redeem our day, I quickly retreated outdoors. Lounging in the hammock, a passing cloud cooled the sting of the intense sun. Close by, a flock of wild turkeys and a lone deer feasted together on scattered corn. Unaware of my presence, they allowed my camera to capture the precious Kodak moment. From neighboring treetops, sounds of the wild nearly drowned out the horn of a distant train. A gentle breeze flipped the pages of my Bible, coming to rest on the page with today’s Scripture boldly highlighted.

It was the perfect day! And it was a day to rejoice and be glad in. Painting Himself into every corner of the day, I felt the warmth of God’s presence and the essence of His peace. It was a simple day…quiet, restful and serene…yet rich in the fullness of His glory.

When we reflect on days in the life of Jesus, we see a man who was not ruled by His schedule. He was never in a hurry and He was not held hostage by the world’s demands. In a world that applauds achievement, God desires companionship. And in a world that focuses on what we do, He is more interested in who we are. Unlike the Army’s slogan, “Be all that you can be,” God whispers, “Be still and know that I am God.”

What does the perfect day look like to you? Turn your days over to Jesus and allow Him to fill them with Himself. Only then will you experience the truly perfect day!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you living a balanced life? What obstacles are standing in the way of intimacy with Jesus?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 34:8, 46:10; Hosea 10:12b

Married to husband Dan, Karen is the Salon Coordinator for Intrigue Salon & Spa, the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.