Tuesday, September 29, 2009

M.Y.O.B.
By Jennie Pierce

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”
Luke 6:41

The word narc (or nark) comes from British descent referring to a police informer or enforcer. Its Australian context means an annoying person or thing. Unfortunately, every child has this unique gift. I’m sure most parents would agree that sibling “narking” occurs in their home as routinely as the rising and setting of the sun. “She hit me!” “He won’t let me have a turn.” “She won’t leave me alone!” “He already watched a T.V. show.” Sadly, children love to point out the wrong in each other. As its dictionary definition proves, this narking, or police informing, is truly annoying.

Early on, we tried to adapt a subtle tactic to warn a guilty child that he or she was, indeed, “narking” and needed to stop. We would simply announce, “M.Y.O.B.” which means “Mind Your Own Business.” That seemed to work (for awhile) until the children started using that line on each other.

Scripture reveals to us that, apparently, children aren’t the only ones who love to observe wrong in someone else. We are quick to see the speck of dirt in someone else’s eye, all the while dismissing the log in our own. Focusing on my friend’s issues temporarily makes me forget about mine, and actually helps me feel rather good about myself. Scripture further warns that pride is a precursor to destruction and failure. Under the guise of helping and good intentions, I find it easier to point out a wrong in someone else, rather than search the deep, dark cauldrons of my own heart. According to the Bible, I am nothing but a hypocrite! The challenge in our verse for today is to focus on myself, first, by removing the glaring wrong found in me. Not the other way around!

Maybe it’s time to start practicing what we regularly preach to our children. Stop narking. Stop tattling. And M.Y.O.B.!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you tend to judge others’ wrongdoing rather than your own? What’s stopping you from minding your own business?
2. Confess your pride, today, and ask God to help you take an honest look at yourself. “Gracious, forgiving Father, I ask that today you would search me, and know my heart. See if there is any offensive, sinful way in me. Give me the desire and strength to walk in your ways” (Psalm 139:23, 24, modified).

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 16:18; Luke 6:37; John 7:24

Jennie is a wife and mother of three. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.