Monday, September 28, 2009

More Grace
By Dawn Weimar

“But He giveth more grace”
James 4:6 (NKJ)

I was so hurt. I tried not to be upset. I don’t cry easily, but I sobbed for almost two hours. A deep pain from the core of my being wreaked havoc within me. The pain wasn’t inflicted intentionally which made it even worse…I felt guilty for being so upset. Sometimes time heals, but it didn’t this time. Though it wasn’t deliberate, I still needed to forgive. It took weeks, but I spoke the words to my God, “Lord, I forgive.” But the pain didn’t go away. The situation didn’t change; it never will. What’s done can’t be undone. The pain nagged…like a heavy, black sack it weighed down my soul. I cried inside, please take the pain…I don’t want to cry anymore.

He didn’t take the pain, but He heard the cry.

Recently, our worship pastor was preparing in advance for a worship set and sent a song to me early. I listened to the new song and my soul knew He heard. I still cried, but I knew…

Outrageous Grace by Godfrey Birtill

Oh outrageous grace
Oh outrageous grace
Love unfurled by heaven's hand
Oh outrageous grace
Oh outrageous grace
Through my Jesus I can stand
There's a lot of pain but a lot more healing

There's a lot of trouble but a lot more peace
There's a lot of hate but a lot more loving
There's a lot of sin but a lot more grace
There's a lot of fear but a lot more freedom

There's a lot of darkness but a lot more light
There's a lot of cloud but a lot more vision
There's a lot of perishing but a lot more life (1)

There’s a lot of pain, but a lot more healing and a lot more grace. Enough grace for me to trust that He will heal the pain. I still cry. Still…I almost can’t believe it. But I have hope because He reminded me of His outrageous grace. And there is more than enough healing and more than enough grace for my every need.

GOING DEEPER:
1. In what situation in your life do you desperately need God’s outrageous grace?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 13, 61:1-4

(1) © 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) CCLI#172195

Dawn is a wife and mother of three daughters, and is active in Oakwood's worship ministries. She's a pediatric nurse, currently working as VP of Business Development in Population Health Improvement.