Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Blame Game
By Susan Klein

"Do not accuse a man for no reason -- when he has done you no harm."
Proverbs 3:30

I love to play games, any kind of table or board game! Being a word-lover, I especially enjoy games like Scrabble or Scattergories. There is one word game, however, that I don’t particularly care to play, though I have certainly played it my fair share of times over the years. It is a game that requires at least two people to play, but can be played with many. The play of the game goes something like this: The first player takes a turn by performing a wrongful action or speaking some harmful words. At the completion of her turn, that player then accuses someone or something else of being the cause of her wrong action. She does not take responsibility for her own behavior. Sound familiar?!!

I am talking about the “Blame Game.” I think I can safely say we’ve all played it at one time or another. In fact, Eve was the first person ever to play. We could almost go so far as to say she invented the game! And Adam played right along with her. She passed blame on to the serpent, and Adam passed blame on to her. In fact, we could say that we would never have to play this game at all if they had not initiated it! But then, we would actually be playing the game just by inferring that, wouldn’t we?!!

The word “blame,” carries the idea of “missing the target.” Instead of directing the guilt toward our own sinful heart, we send the arrow of blame into another person, making him or her the guilty target. “If that wife you gave me hadn’t given me that fruit and made me eat it, I wouldn’t have sinned!” It sure makes us look and feel better, doesn’t it? Well, temporarily anyway. Until the consequences of our actions catch up with us! Fortunately for you and me, we have the Holy Spirit to convict us of our sin. Unfortunately, if we’ve already passed blame on to someone else, then we’ve not only got our own sin to deal with, but the injuring of another person, as well.

God’s Word is useful for instructing us in how to play the game correctly. We can learn from history, and choose not to repeat it. We have the wisdom of knowing how to take responsibility for our actions and to repent of our sins, without wounding others in the process.

Choose your games and your words carefully today or you may end up engaged in “Truth or Consequences?”!!

GOING DEEPER:
Are you willing to do a little self-introspection to see hidden areas of blame that you may be engaging in? (For example; “I wouldn’t lose my temper if you would just pick up your socks!”)

FURTHER READING:
Genesis 3:1-19; James 1:13-15

Susan is our Tuesday Morning Women’s Bible Study Coordinator (Women Embracing the Word) and one of its teachers. She is also involved in youth outreach ministry.