Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Touch of the Church United
By Pamela Blattner

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in… Matthew 25:35 (NLT)

Worship leader Bridget Willard once spoke on church unity. She said, “Church isn’t where you meet. Church isn’t a building. Church is what you do. Church is who you are. Church is the human outworking of the person of Jesus Christ. Let’s not go to Church, let’s be the Church.” (1)

I had a life-changing experience this past year. I volunteered at an event called Touched Twice United in Madison. I felt such a deep satisfaction and fulfillment in doing what God designed and created me to do. This free clinic provided free medical, social, spiritual and resource services to those in need and was produced by a number of local churches, local businesses and community services working hand-in-hand.

The love that was felt by the guests and volunteers was indescribable. I found a fellowship and intimacy in working with other Christians that cannot be experienced in any other way. It was awesome! People really knew they were welcome; some radical hospitality was going on around the place that day! And I witnessed a whole lot of willing hearts serving alongside those less fortunate.

One of the things that touched my own heart was seeing church denominations going beyond tolerating their differences to not only accepting those differences, but even being inspired by one another in their differences. Volunteering with other believers, I experienced being a vital part of the Body of Christ; got to make use of the truth I’ve learned; and was able to see God at work through many denominations working together. The unity felt that day was so strong. What a beautiful picture of God’s Church!

In John 17:6-19, I love reading the prayer that Jesus prayed for His disciples. And then in verse 20, He goes on to pray for all future believers…including you and me! In that prayer, Jesus prayed for unity within the body of believers. It makes you think He knew in advance exactly what would happen to His church once He ascended into heaven…!

I don’t suppose you’d be surprised to hear that I am now part of the team bringing a Touched Twice United free clinic to the Lake Country community on October 23rd! (2) I can’t wait to see the Church do Church…to see the Church as the human outworking of the person of Jesus Christ…to see the Church BE the Church…united!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Jesus told a parable in which He makes it clear that when we respond to those in need, we are responding to Him. How can you respond to a particular need today for the sake of Christ?
2. What is your part in adding to the unity of the Church?

FURTHER READING:
John 17:6-26; Ephesians 4:2-7

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care and is Co-Coordinator of Touched Twice Ministries.

(1) http://thinkexist.com/quotes/bridget_willard/
(2) http://www.touchedtwicelakecountry.org/touchedtwice/