Friday, October 29, 2010

My First Christmas
By Lisa Boyer

“The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.”
Psalm 103:8

You may be thinking that it’s a bit early for a devotional about Christmas, but the Christmas decorations are already in the stores so if it’s not too early for decorations, it’s not too early for a devotional! Besides, this is the time of year I usually begin dreading Christmas, knowing that the unavoidable Christmas depression is just around the corner.

In fact, my first brush with Christmas dread came weeks ago, as a friend and I stood in front of a Christmas display and she said, “Doesn’t this just make you happy!?!” I thought to myself, No, it doesn’t, I hate Christmas, quickly blinking to keep the tears from filling my eyes. The guilt was immediate. A Christian who hates Christmas is wrong on so many levels.

Since that day, I’ve spent a lot of time talking to God about this issue. Not just talking; pouring my heart out to Him. He knows I’ve tried everything in my power to enjoy Christmas, but in all my years…childhood through now, I’ve never succeeded. I have to admit I was feeling hopeless and guilty.

And then there was this moment, this moment when I stopped looking down in shame but looked up and saw my compassionate God was grieving too! He hasn’t been angry and disappointed in my inability to celebrate the birth of His Son all these years. He’s been hurting right there with me from the very beginning of my bad Christmas experiences. My guilt melted away and took my hopelessness with it.

After years of failure, I finally have hope that I will be able to successfully celebrate this Christmas. And to make sure I get to do just that, I’ve made a plan. I’m going to celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior on a specific day well before December 25. It will be a day just for me to celebrate Him: no buying gifts, no decorations (except maybe a manger scene), no family gatherings, no cooking and no cleaning to burden or distract me. A day just for me and Jesus. It will be my first real Christmas and I can hardly wait!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Today, will you make a plan to intentionally and personally celebrate the birth of Jesus this Christmas season?
2. If you are one of the many who struggle this time of year, will you bring your burden to our compassionate God, asking Him to show you a way that you can freely celebrate the birth of His Son?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 103:1-5; Luke 2:1-20; Isaiah 9:6

Lisa has been married to Ted for 18 years and they have two teenage sons. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls’ small group at Oakwood Church.