Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lessons from a Legume
By Jennie Pierce

“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 1:6

They had let me down so many times before, I was sure this time would be no exception. In fact, I had come to expect disappointment and frustration, so this particular day I approached them with a plan: rip out every bean plant in sight and just be done with it! It seemed like a logical and fair approach. For one, all summer long they had produced only a mere handful of beans at a time; for another, nearing the end of the growing season, I assumed that what little growth and energy they did have was now spent. Boy, was I wrong! Everywhere my hands touched, the plants were laden with beans. In fact, I picked more beans than I had all summer long. Sadly, I found myself ill-prepared. Assuming I was ripping out plants, I brought no container to collect the bountiful produce.

Oh how I’m thankful that Jesus takes a different approach with us, His precious creation! He has promised that He WILL complete the good work He has begun in us! This work for us began at the Cross when He died in our place, and started working in us when we first believed. The work now continues as the Holy Spirit within empowers and enables us to grow, mature, and become more like Christ (1). Even when we are dry and withered, He nourishes us with His mercies (that are new every morning), with His love (that never fails), with His wisdom (that is free for the asking), with His power (that raised Him from the dead), and with His hope (that is found only in Him). And, when we finally do produce fruit, He is never surprised…only pleased. Pleased that we are becoming more and more like Him. Pleased that we were obedient. Pleased that we didn’t give up on ourselves, because He never does.

I’d like to think the only mistake I made that day was not bringing big enough containers to the garden to collect all the beans. The truth is, my decision to assume the plants were non-productive and to totally give up on them was so erroneous. Certainly, the produce I picked that day was of no credit to myself. I stopped investing time and energy into them long ago. I’m so grateful our Heavenly Father pursues us and promises to provide for us as we grow to know Him more deeply and reflect Him more clearly.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you feel as if you aren’t making progress in your spiritual life? Are you discouraged, feel incomplete or unfinished? Have you stopped trying?
2. Ask God to renew your desire to keep trying and relying on His strength, and thank Him for His faithfulness to you.

FURTHER READING:
Philippians 1:9-11, 3:12-15; Galatians 5:22; Colossians 1:9-14

Jennie is a wife and mother of three teenagers. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.

(1) Life Application Study Bible - Application notes pg. 1994, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 2005 ed.