Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reaching The Next Generation For The Lord
By Pamela Blattner

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."
Deuteronomy 4:9


I cannot wait to be a grandmother…. again. I wonder if my son and his wife will have a daughter or son.

We just got home from an annual Blattner most-excellent vacation! We talked and daydreamed about what the future will look like with another small grandbaby around and I cherish those thoughts because they make me delightfully happy. I so look forward to the day when I get the pleasure of kissing soft cheeks and holding pudgy little hands in mine.

There are certain things I want to remember to always do with my precious grandchildren. I want to continue to take them out and spend time with them. I want to take them to the park and go on slow walks with them discussing the trees and the birds in the air while holding hands. I want to be available as a babysitter so their parents can get some much-needed rest and time for each other. I want to be supportive and encouraging. I want my grandchildren to make homemade cookies with me and get the kitchen really messy as we dance around the room. I want to tell them stories from the Bible, teach them about the Lord and what He has done in my life. I want them to know that "Grandchildren are the crown of grandparents, and parents are the glory of their children" (Proverbs 17:6).

But what I would not want to do is not be available. The Israelites taught their grandchildren about the Lord so that they would not forget Him. We ought to do the same. The Bible teaches us how to view grandchildren--as a crown. At times, I find that I need to grasp the bigger vision -- the one of reaching the next generation for the Lord. Grandmas, you possess much wisdom and experience that needs to be shared. You are so important: The Lord views your role as valuable to your grandchildren. What a great way to celebrate ongoing life!

GOING DEEPER:
1. In these challenging times, we can stand in the gap with prayer for our children and grandchildren. Will you do so today?
2. Not all of us are grandmothers, and not all grandmothers have as much access to their grandchildren that they’d love. Ask God to bring to your mind children in your life…the next generation… whom you can influence, reach out to or pray for.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 103:17

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care and is Co-Coordinator of Touched Twice Ministries.