Monday, October 4, 2010

Shimmering Trails
By Jen Wollner

“…women who have lived wisely and well will shine brilliantly…And those who put others on the right path to life will glow like stars forever.”
Daniel 12:3 (MSG)

My daughter just got a new dress. Actually, it’s a hand-me-down from a friend, but it’s a new treasure to her. And, it’s not just any ‘ol dress…it’s a fairy princess dress! It’s the brightest, glitteriest outfit you’ve ever seen. As a matter of fact, it’s so full of glitter that when she wears it, she leaves a trail wherever she goes. Sparkles are everywhere and they stick to everything…even to her brothers! It’s really quite fitting for her personality. She lights up every room she enters with her big smile and infectious giggle. And with this dress, she leaves a physical representation of her joyous spirit in the form of iridescent glitter, perfectly matching the twinkle in her eyes.

As I’ve noticed the new sparkles throughout my home, I got to thinking: What do I leave behind when I walk out of a room? What sticks around long after I’m gone? I absolutely shudder to think of some of the things I’ve been known to leave splattered across a room…or on a person. Oh, the horror of my selfishness, critical spirit, unkind words and harsh tone. What utter foolishness! My sinful nature and free will have, at times, left destruction and chaos following behind me in a long path of sorrow. Maybe you can relate?

I praise God that over time, as we begin to conform to the image of Christ through the work of the Holy Spirit, our minds and hearts change! Consequently, the trails we leave behind as we walk through life begin to change, too. Instead of devastation, we leave a brilliant twinkle in the form of grace, love, mercy and compassion. Instead of “self” being evident when we walk out of a room, there are shiny glimmers of hope, encouragement and wisdom sparkling everywhere, sticking to everything and everyone.

Oh, beloved, may today be a day in which we outwardly display the light of Christ we possess in our hearts. Let’s put it on like a radiant, shimmering princess dress…then, do a twirl and let the glitter fly!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How has the Lord transformed the ugly trail of sin in your life? What beautiful path do you now leave behind wherever you go? Thank Him.
2. Whom in your life could you sprinkle a little “glitter” on? How could you show that person Jesus’ love today?

FURTHER READING:
Romans 6:13; Matthew 5:16

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children between the ages of seven and three. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.