Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Crossroad
By Jeannine Sawall

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
Matthew 5:4

I recently reached a crossroad in life where I had to choose which road to travel. My mom passed away unexpectedly, and for several months I walked a road filled with heartache and mourning. The relentless whisper of loss and grief constantly reminded me that she was gone. Time, however, brings a measure of healing…whether or not you want it to. As I thought of her in heaven and me here, I faced a dilemma: Could I move forward with joy? Or, if I let go of some of my grief, was I letting go of her, loving her less? Those thoughts rang loudly. With mind and heart torn, I stood at the crossroad.

I knew without a doubt my mom was alive and well, enjoying a life more joyful and rich than she ever had on earth. I imagined her anticipating the day we would all be together, just like we awaited the arrival of dear friends coming to visit. Our youngest son Joshua was constantly watching at the window, asking excitedly again and again, "Are they here yet?!"

I don't believe Mom waits with longing, but with completeness of joy in the presence of our Lord, knowing that when the time is right, we will come. There lay the answer to my crossroad dilemma. If Mom is on the other side waiting with joy, should I not try to walk with joy on this side?

Crossroads give us choices. Will we step back into the past, stay put, or move forward? We know our faithful God always walks beside us. We can trust Him to go with us as we move forward, no matter the circumstance.

GOING DEEPER:
1) Have you reached a crossroad in your life? Trust God to walk with you down the path He has for you.
2) Are you holding onto grief? Let God heal and comfort today; He has promised He will.

FOR FURTHER READING:
Psalm 9:9; Psalm 34:18; Psalm 48:14; 1 Peter 5:6-7

Jeannine is a wife and active mother of four boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.