Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Building Blocks
By Peggy Kleckner

“As you come to Him, the living Stone - - rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him - - you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.”
I Peter 2:4-5

I had brought up the large plastic tub of Duplos (you know, those lego building blocks for younger children) from our basement for my grandson to play with. I was trying to offer him something new to keep him occupied while the rest of the family was engrossed in a football game.

We have quite an assortment of these blocks. They are different colors, shapes and sizes. A lot of them even have wheels attached; however, the fun thing is that they all fit together. No matter the color, size or shape you can attach them to each other.

As I dug through the tub, I offered him a variety of new blocks for his enjoyment. While he was working on the blocks he had, I continued to fish around in the container and found some orange blocks. I was disappointed as I tried to attach them to some of the other blocks. They wouldn’t fit together. Upon closer inspection, I realized they were not Duplos, but counterfeits. Though they looked very similar, they could not be used to build up anything with the Duplos. Needless to say, I gathered up the rest of the counterfeits and disposed of them. I didn’t want my grandson to be disappointed by blocks that wouldn’t fit together.

Those blocks reminded me that God is building His Church with living stones, with those who have put their trust in Him alone. The truth is, counterfeit Christians just won’t attach to true Christians in the right way. Those who are believers are being molded into the image and likeness of Christ and God is fitting us together into one body. Those who refuse to be conformed to the image of Christ just won’t “fit together”… and it will be noticeable on Judgment Day.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you accepted God’s call to be conformed to the image of His son, Jesus?
2. Are you allowing Jesus to fit you in to His body, the Church?

FURTHER READING:
Matthew 25:31-46; 1 Cor. 12:12-26

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.