Wednesday, February 23, 2011

“Lord, I Can’t Wait To See What You Are Going To Do!”
By Kari Lyles

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.”
Ephesians 3:20-21

The new year is, well, not so new anymore, and it’s around this time that I start examining my new year’s resolutions…. if I made any! For me, the start of a new year brings a sense of anticipation, feelings of excitement of what could be, and new hopes of accomplishments. However, as the weeks pass, my anticipation unfortunately fades into the daily beat of life. Good intentions get swept under the rug for another year.

God has been convicting me that I can have that “fire in the belly” anticipation not just at the start of a new year, but every day of that year and in every circumstance I face.

Like you, I am sure, He has given me mountains to climb. Times where I have been at a loss for words either praying for myself or others, and I have been left vulnerable, saying, “Lord, I can’t wait to see what you are going to do.”

I have used this phrase for my children with struggles at school. When I wasn’t sure where my career path was taking me. When friends have come to me heartbroken. When my prayer partner and I pray weekly as she awaits a life-changing transplant. And I will continue saying it, praying it, sharing it and trying to live it.

Ephesians 3 reminds us that God can do the unthinkable, beyond our dreams.

There is a little catch.

My enthusiastic anticipation about what He is going to do in my life and in the lives of others does not always come with an answer that I expect. There is sometimes a “no,” a “wait” or silence. But I have found there is always a lesson in His wise response. When I can get past my disappointment, I grow, stretch, bend, search and persevere. I give in and allow Him to mold me into the woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend I desire to be.

So, as I evaluate where I am at this time of year…I do have a long way to go. But I can tell you, “I can’t wait to see what He is going to do!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you approaching God with anticipation or are you just going through the motions of life thinking, “it is what it is”?
2. Will you allow yourself to let go of your hopes and desires and let Him do “immeasurably more than all you could ask or imagine”?

FURTHER READING:
Jeremiah 29:11-14; Romans 8:26-30

Kari is a wife and mother to two girls ages 9 and 5. She works as a regional sales manager at MAX-R in Sussex and is involved in Oakwood’s drama ministry.