Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Deep Rooted Encouragement
By Karen D’Amore

“May God…encourage your hearts and strengthen you…”
2 Thessalonians 2: 16a, 17b

It was a dark, dreary morning…fitting for the ensuing cancer procedure. With emotions stirring like the restless winds, I felt anxiety threatening to overpower me. Bending under the weight of fear, I needed the assurance of God’s presence. As prayer for encouragement filled the quiet space, the drive to the hospital grew darker. Mid-prayer, an overwhelming “nudge” spurred a brief detour to Walgreens. In the card aisle, I selected THE first card I touched:

A mighty wind blew night and day
It stole the oak tree's leaves away
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
While other trees fell all around.

The weary wind gave up and spoke,
'How can you still be standing, Oak?'
The oak tree said, ' I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two,
Carry every leaf away,
Shake my limbs and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in this earth,
Growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
They are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn't sure
Of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found, with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew.'

Thinking of you and caring for you. (1)

But my heart read two more unprinted words…Love, God.

God met me in a card aisle, responding to my need for encouragement. While blows of re-occurring cancer threatening to knock me to the ground, He reminded me of my roots. Like the deep, grounding roots of the oak tree; my life is deeply rooted and grounded in Him. He has used the storms of life and winds of adversity to drive my roots deeper and my grip on Him tighter, enabling me to stand with unbendable, unshakeable faith.

Adversity is no respecter of person and as the winds of hardship blow through our lives, the ability to stand is dependent on our roots. As Christ-followers, let us be encouraged by the example of the mighty oak tree and let us not pray for God to calm the winds, but rather to grow our faith-roots deeper.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are your faith-roots deep enough to withstand the storms of life? How can they be deepened?

FURTHER READING:
Colossians 2:6; Isaiah 41:10; Jeremiah 17:7-8

Married to Dan, Karen is a retired police officer, who is currently a Nail Technician at Craig Berns. She is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.

(1) card poetry by Johnny Ray Rider Jr.