Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Importance of Eli
By Lexi Cole

Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if He calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’”
1 Samuel 3:8b-9

I have a platonic crush on Samuel! This Old Testament prophet spoke the Lord’s Word with conviction, led God’s people with compassion and trusted God without compromise. In 1 Samuel 3, God speaks to Samuel in an unfamiliar way. Scripture tells us, “In those days, the word of the Lord was rare: there were not many visions.” So when God calls, Samuel thinks it is his mentor and teacher, Eli. But Eli has no clue what Samuel is talking about and sends him back to bed. This happens two more time until Eli realizes it is God speaking to Samuel and instructs him to listen to God, to surrender to God and say “Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.” Samuel does exactly this and God does amazing things through Samuel.

My understanding of this passage came from an excellent Bible study by Priscilla Shirer entitled He Speaks to Me. In it, she talks about what Samuel did to hear God’s voice - - how Samuel was still, how he surrendered and listened. Therefore, my personal application has always focused on what Samuel did to hear God’s voice.

As I re-read this passage recently, it made me wonder…What about Eli? While I do believe we can learn from Samuel’s life in a lot of great ways, this time, I saw the important role Eli played. He helped Samuel hear God’s voice. He showed Samuel who was speaking. He gave Samuel the tools to move from an unfamiliar to a familiar. While Samuel did choose to be still, surrender and listen, Eli is the one who mentored Samuel in that experience. Scripture says Samuel “did not yet know the Lord: the Word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to Him.” It’s Eli who realizes it’s God’s voice and teaches Samuel how to listen. We can’t forget about Eli.

So the question becomes: Who is my “Eli”? Am I surrounding myself with people who will encourage a life that is in step with God’s Word and His will? Am I in community with people who will teach me to be still, surrender and listen to God’s voice? And with that, am I, in return, intentionally engaging in others’ lives so they too can hear God’s voice? I still have my platonic crush on Samuel, but I am newly thankful for the less-noticed role Eli played.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Who is your “Eli”?
2. To whom can you be an Eli and how can you intentionally do that today?

FURTHER READING:
1 Samuel 3

Lexi is an Elementary Education major at Bethel University. The last two summers, she’s been the Children’s Ministries intern at Oakwood.