Monday, February 28, 2011

It’s All About ME
By Lisa Boyer

“And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again.”
2 Corinthians 5:15

My birthday was just a few days away and I was throwing myself a huge party. Oh, don’t be sad that you weren’t invited… it wasn’t a birthday party - - it was a pity party!

I knew what I wanted to do on my birthday, but due to circumstances beyond my control, it wasn’t going to happen and I was upset, really upset. And, if there was ever a day when I should get to do what I want, it’s on MY birthday! The good news is that my pity party didn’t last long. I was convicted of my selfishness (and my resulting bad behavior) and made things right. After all, I was plenty old enough - - even without another birthday - - to know that no day is ever solely about ME.

Well, actually there is one day in history that was about me but it wasn’t the day I was born. The day Jesus died on the cross was about me… He didn’t die for Himself; He died for ME…and for you!

And because He died so that I could live, my life isn’t about me; it’s about HIM! Several years ago, I wrote this to remind myself of that fact:

Lord, here I am at the end of my day,
Thinking there's something I should say,
A question’s haunting me in the back of my mind
This day I've just wasted was it even mine
Cuz, You paid a price for it that day on the tree
But I've just spent it as though it were free

So how expensive was my day
What was the price You had to pay
Was it all You had in mind for me
When You bled and died on Calvary

As I’m reflecting upon my daily life
I can't help but wonder if I'm living it right
In Your Book it's written that all my days were planned
And I am confident my soul is in Your hand
So as for my future well it remains the same
But I know somehow my life has got to change

Tomorrow starts another day
So here and now I bow and pray
Make it all you had in mind for me
When you bled and died on Calvary

After what He’s done for me, I am happy to make my birthday (and every other day) all about HIM!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Will you make today all about HIM?

FURTHER READING:
Galatians 2:20; Romans 14:7-8; Psalm 139:16

Lisa has been married to Ted for 18 years and they have two teenage sons. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls’ small group at Oakwood Church.