Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Responding to His Heart Call
By Pamela Blattner

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
John 15:10-11

This week, I did an inventory about the ways the Spirit of God works in my life and if I was really called to do the things I was involved in. Suppose I asked you to fill in the blank in this statement: “My greatest ‘burden’ for the church I attend is_______________________.” How would you answer that? Some would want a greater freedom in worship, or others might focus on a prayer ministry for wholeness in people’s lives. Others might even say, “I love junior high kids.” All of our answers would vary because God has made us all differently, to care for something different. Isn’t that great? Do you have a “positive burden” today? A “well-up-within” kind of burden that has discipleship - - growing others in their love and response to Jesus - - at its center? God has something for us to do.

This call often seems bigger than we can ever accomplish in our own resources. Remember the story about Moses in the Old Testament? Moses was out there in the desert for 40 years and, all of a sudden, there was this burning bush and the Lord spoke to Moses! God said that He heard the cries of His people in Egypt and He was going to release them through Moses! Moses didn’t say, “No problem, God, what took you so long?” He didn’t think he would be able to do it. He only succeeded out of trust and in obedience and with the strong arm of the Lord.

I think that we should remember that our heart-call should come with energy and joy, not regularly characterized as a burden. I feel like God’s doing an adjustment in this season of my life in what He’s calling me to do. I’m patiently trying to learn from Him; through His Word and His loving disciples He’s brought my way recently from Oakwood.

Where’s the joy? Committing to complete the work that God has given us to do. In the ministries you have with your children, grandchildren, and church-related activities do you say, "I was made for this. This is what I was born for"? What a privilege to be able to find that in our lives. So this morning, listen for the call of God that focuses on a need that you care about, that’s bigger than you can accomplish on your own strength, and comes with energy and joy.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Ask the Spirit of God to show you His heart call for your life right now.

FURTHER READING:
Exodus 3

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren and one on the way. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care and Touched Twice Ministries.