Thursday, February 17, 2011

What’s In It For Me?
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“No doubt about it! God is good – good to good people, good to the good-hearted.”
Psalm 73:1 (The Message)

Following God with all your heart is difficult. Not just difficult…there are times that will call for social, physical or emotional discomfort, sacrifice, pain. At times it’s tempting for even the most seasoned Christ-followers to look around and say, “Forget it. Everyone else has more fun and prosperity…without any problems. What am I getting out of this? It’s not fair. I’m out of here.” This feeling is nothing new. Asaph, the author of Psalm 73, told his story and fought the same emotions. But God has an answer to him, and to us.

Asaph saw that “the wicked” (v. 3, NIV) seemingly had no struggles. They were healthy, proud, arrogant, and carefree (v. 4-12). Sound familiar? Just like many of us, Asaph found himself struggling with envy of these people. But God showed Asaph the destination of the unfaithful. They are “cast down to ruin…destroyed…completely swept away” (v. 18-19). And Asaph’s destination? The very presence of God (v. 24).

At the end of the psalm, Asaph worships God:

“I’m still in your presence,
But you’ve taken my hand.
You wisely and tenderly lead me,
And then you bless me.
You’re all I want in heaven!
You’re all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
GOD is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
Deserters, they’ll never be heard from again.
But I’m in the very presence of God—
Oh, how refreshing it is!” (v. 23-26, The Message)

God showed Asaph the last chapter of the book, to help him understand that he…just like us…lives in the middle of the story. God’s faithfulness to those who love Him does not end.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are you putting your hope and confidence in today?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 89:8

Along with caring for her husband, two children and the dog, Carolyn is an Office Representative for State Farm Insurance, serves in Student Ministries with seventh grade girls, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.