Friday, February 18, 2011

The List
By Lisa Boyer

“Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.”
Ecclesiastes 2:11

When I’m stressed, I make a list. The list helps relieve my stress by taking an overwhelming project and breaking it down into several do-able items. I then work my way through the list crossing things off as I get them done. The idea is that when everything is crossed off the list, the overwhelming project will be done.

The name of my most recent list was “To get ready for Tuesday.” Tuesday has now come and gone, and I’m happy to report that the event I was getting ready for was a success! Or at least I thought it was until I found my “To get ready for Tuesday” list and discovered that I hadn’t done everything on the list!!! One third of the items on the list weren’t crossed off! Was it possible for the event to have been a success if the getting ready for it list was never finished?

Using the marvels of hindsight, I reviewed the list again… oh yeah, that probably didn’t need to be on the list, um, neither did that, whoa, that either, wow, what was I thinking when I put that on there? No wonder I had been so stressed! I had taken a simple event and created a monster! Not only was the event a success with one-third of the list unfinished, it would have been a success even if I had left one-half of the items on the list unfinished! Better yet, I should have left those things off the list completely.

I’ve always (secretly) prided myself on being like a woman named Martha in the New Testament, a person who gets things done. But there’s a downside to being like Martha… “But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made” (Luke 10:40). I had certainly become distracted, and sadly, not all the preparations had been necessary.

How often do I add to my list (and my life) things that aren’t essential? I still want to be a “Martha,” but I don’t want to be worried “about many things” (Luke 10:41) and miss out on important moments.

The next time I am stressed and make a list, I’m thinking it’ll be a whole lot shorter!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have non-essential things distracted you from what is important? What steps will you take to correct that today?

FURTHER READING:
Luke 10:38-42

Lisa has been married to Ted for 18 years and they have two teenage sons. She is a co-leader for a Junior High girls’ small group at Oakwood Church.