Thursday, June 9, 2011

Doggie Devotion
By Pamela Blattner

“Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations.”
Psalm 100:4-5

Just about a year ago, my husband and I rescued a 2-year-old dog that was kept in a Heavenly Hearts Rescue home. Bella never wakes us up, but quietly waits for us until we get up…at which time she beelines it for the front door, and then comes flying back in the house. She really is happy to be around my husband and me as often as possible. Between babysitting and classes, I may come in and out of the house several times during the week. I don’t think there has been an instance yet where the excitement of my return hasn’t driven her crazy!

Bella has no knowledge of the inevitable death from which the rescue saved her. Her life is simple: use the bathroom, eat, sleep, and play. Her devotion and longing desire to be with us is not out of gratitude for her life, but rather out of the sincerest love. As I write this, she sits next to me on the couch. When I give her belly rubs, she smiles. If the belly rub is accompanied with telling her she’s such a “pretty girl,” she smiles even wider. It makes me think of my own relationship with the Lord.

Jesus Christ gave up His life so that I would no longer have to spend eternity without Him in a real place called hell. He has delivered me from the bond of Satan and given me a hope that not even physical death can quench. But despite all that He’s done for me, sometimes I lack in craving His presence even as much as a my dog Bella longs for mine. Sure, I come to the Lord several times a day, but it’s generally because I need something. I think I’d be so disappointed if the only times Bella wanted our attention was when she was hungry. How can I go through life so self-centered that I don’t see the same truth mirrored in my relationship with Jesus sometimes?

Even though God doesn’t need our attention, He sure does enjoy it. I don’t want to fall into the trap of complacency in my relationship with the Lord. He is a personal God who takes joy in our relationship with Him. How much more should we take joy within the presence of Him?

GOING DEEPER:
1. I challenge you to greet the Lord with anticipation for the remainder of the day. The next time you wake up, let it be with joy, praise and thanksgiving to the God who has saved you from eternal anguish.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 42:1-2

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry.