Monday, June 20, 2011

Lovin’ Daddy
By Pamela Blattner

"In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name."
Psalm 33:21

I love Father’s Day. I have such fond memories of my dad. When I was a young girl, my father would regularly take me with him to do his Saturday errands. I never crossed a street in Hales Corners without holding my dad’s hand. Every time we stood together on the curb, he would extend his arm toward me, waiting for me to take his hand before we crossed to the other side. I didn’t need to know where Dad was headed or what we were going to do when we got there. He knew. My job was simply to take his hand before we crossed and hold onto it until we safely reached the other side. That’s all I had to do. Now he’s gone, I’ve grown, and I’ve learned that when I need to take the first step in anything I do, I try and remember to begin with taking hold of God’s outstretched hand. That action takes the form of calling upon the Lord as a first priority, telling Him I will hold on to Him throughout the process.

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 33:3. “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” Many times in my life, I’ve faced a question of guidance or direction, and have to remind myself of that first step. When I have reached out and held on, I’m the most content in my spirit.

God is our source for what we need. We owe it all to Him. When you praise and lift your heart to Him in all you go through, your sense of belonging to Him as His beloved child magnifies His glory in your life…through all circumstances. He is sovereign. In His time and through His infinite wisdom, He will reveal what needs to be done.

All of us have earthly fathers. As we’ve just celebrated Father’s Day, take time to think of your heavenly father. Reach out to take His hand; it’s not complicated. If you want to, please join me in the following prayer: Father, You know the decisions I am facing right now. I don’t want to do it alone. I thank you, Lord, that you hear me as I call. I deliberately place my hand in Yours. I will hold on. Please lead me and guide me in the days ahead. My hand is in Yours from this day forward.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Remember how special you are in the eyes of our heavenly Father. May the Lord bring you into an even deeper understanding of the love of God as your eternal Father. How will you communicate this truth to someone else?

FURTHER READING:
Romans 5:8, 8:15

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry.