Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Follow the Recipe
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.”
Deuteronomy 4:2

I recently attended a kitchen demonstration by an “Iron Chef” from the Food Network©. The recipe for each dish was handed out to the audience beforehand. At the top of the main dish ingredients was listed “2 tablespoons Ararat.” Now I know my way around a kitchen, but I’m by no means a gourmet.  The ingredient “ararat” is NOT in my food vocabulary. I was determined to pay extra attention when this dish was put together so I would know what I needed. The chef came out and eventually started working on the entrée.  No “ararat” appeared. One brave audience member finally asked, “What’s ararat and when do you use it?” To which the chef replied, “I’ve never heard of ararat  - - what are you talking about?”  Turns out the ingredient listed doesn’t exist, and was an error made as files were exchanged in cyberspace!

If I take a recipe from an “Iron Chef” and add or subtract ingredients, it is no longer the chef’s recipe, it’s my own concoction. The same thing applies with God’s Word. God didn’t leave anything out when He inspired the writers of the Bible. He didn’t “forget” parts of the recipe. In spiritual principles, we are supposed to follow what is written...in the Bible, not our own ideas. Likewise, as His followers, we aren’t supposed to ignore any “ingredients”…His instructions for living His way.  Adding or subtracting from the recipe might get you an edible meal, but it won’t be the same dish that the Chef wanted you to make.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Do you find yourself believing something about God but you don’t know why you believe it?  Look to His Word today to make sure it’s actually in the Bible.  If you’re not sure where to start, try www.biblegateway.com/topical for a keyword search. 

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 30:5-6; Deuteronomy 12:32

Along with caring for her husband, two children and the dog, Carolyn is an Office Representative for State Farm Insurance, serves in Student Ministries with junior high girls, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.