Monday, June 27, 2011

Wilting Flowers
By Jen Wollner

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers…”
John 15:5-6

One of my favorite things in this world is fresh-cut flowers. My spirits are lifted by the pop of color they add to any room. I savor the sweet aroma that wafts from their buds. And, I treasure the gesture of love another person shows to me when they give me a vase full of them. There’s only one thing that I don’t like about a beautiful bouquet of flowers: They quickly die! Even if I add a packet of “flower food” to the water, they don’t produce any new buds, they just simply shrivel up.

The reason flowers wither is obvious: They are no longer connected to the plant and its life-sustaining nutrients. Our verse for today reminds us that we are much the same way. God is our source of life and when we are cut off from Him, we quickly begin to droop. Apart from our Power Source, we are weak and, ultimately, can’t accomplish anything worthy of eternity. But, when we stay close to the Lord through His Word and prayer, Scripture tells us that we will “bear much fruit.” In other words, our character will look more like His and our actions will be the evidence of our intimacy with Him. Among other things, we will love others more fully and exude more patience, kindness and self-control. If we have accepted Christ as Savior and are cultivating a deep relationship with Him, obediently following His example, He will be glorified through the good works that are produced through us. No imitation nourishment can fill us up and empower us the same way our God can. We’ve got to be connected to the Source!

Oh, the loveliness of the godly fruit we bear through Christ…and the pleasing scent that lingers...

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you receiving the sustenance offered by Jesus, the vine? If not, will you commit today to cultivating a closer relationship with Him?
2. If you are being nourished by Him regularly, what fruit are you bearing as evidence of your “remaining” in Him?

FURTHER READING:
John 15:1-17; Galatians 5:22-23

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three children between the ages of seven and three. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.