Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Lasting Legacy
By Jeannine Sawall

 “But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear Him, and his righteousness with their children's children - - with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.” 
Psalm 103:17-18 

This month will mark the third anniversary of my mom’s sudden passing. I don’t think there is a day that has gone by, I haven’t thought of her. Yes, time has taken the sharp edge off of my grief, but the missing goes on in earnest. 
  
Having walked through three years of her loss, I have been able to look back and see the goodness of God. How He plucked her out of mire and muck and changed her life. How He wooed her and how she fell head over heels in love with Jesus. When I think of my mom...that is the lasting picture I have of her.

I think of her love for Jesus and how she wanted everyone she knew to know Him and love Him. She shared how Jesus can heal ANY hurt we have. How He provides strength for ANY weakness we struggle with. How He fills ANY void we have in our life. And when I say these things I have to preface: These were hard-fought lessons she learned (and we learn).  My mom had hard times, painful years and a life made difficult by choices (like all of us)...but Jesus made a profound difference.

When we let Jesus take control, take our hurts and disappointments; when we give up our burdens to Him, the change is incredible. It changes everything about us. And the change He worked in her life and works in our lives is what we live and eventually leave behind...the incredible truth that Jesus is real, He really  changes people, He really  makes a difference, and He gives us a love that overcomes any obstacle. He provides comfort and strength and rest and hope!  When we come to know Him, we find that every promise He has made is truth.  

Missing my mom has been, and continues to be, one of the most difficult roads I've had to journey. Yet during her life, she left behind a legacy of hope in Jesus. She passed that legacy down to me and now, I am hopefully passing it down to my children. Our relationship with Jesus goes with us to heaven. What we lived on earth is left behind as our legacy. A relationship with Jesus makes a difference in where we will spend eternity…it also makes a difference in the legacy we leave behind. Live a life that will leave a Jesus legacy! 

GOING DEEPER:
1. What type of legacy are you living/leaving?
2. How does your life make Jesus real to someone else?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.