Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You’re Doing Great
By Lexi Ellis

“But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called ‘Today,’ so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” 
Hebrews 3:13

With the wedding days away, I found myself in the middle of final details. In the midst of overwhelming moments, I often verbally processed the details with my mom and my future mother-in-law. While my fiancé (now husband) was the emotional support I needed, my moms were my “detail support” to help figure things out.

Many times, my mother-in-law said, “You’re doing great.” Other times, my mom would hug me when I needed it most. In those moments, I was reminded how blessed I am to have a relationship with our two moms, who are such godly encouragers.

I don’t write this to exclusively brag about my moms. But in the middle of the stress, I realized how empowering and helpful those three little words are, and how de-stressing a hug is.

This isn’t rocket science theology. But the simple truth of encouraging others is incredibly spiritual. For one thing, God is the Supreme Encourager. In the Old Testament, Scripture says God hears us and encourages us.[1] In the New Testament, Scripture says God “gives endurance and encouragement.”[2] In addition, Christ lived a life that was full of encouraging. Think through what you know about His life: How He cared for and served others, saw beyond their present sin, told them who they really are, spoke to their hearts’ deepest longings, touched the untouchable.

Encouragement is also spiritual because, in His Word, God calls us to encourage others. Part of Paul’s intent in writing the letter to the Ephesian church was to encourage them.[3] Paul tells the Corinthian church to “strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace.”[4] And in our verse today, its writer tells Christians to encourage daily, implying that the absence of active encouragement may contribute to a poor heart condition.

Despite God’s obvious value placed on encouraging and the call in Scripture for us to be encouragers, I am not always seeking out opportunities to encourage others. My challenge? To intentionally search daily to build others up. For me, each night I’ve been trying to ask myself how I’ve encouraged others that day. Christ constantly thought of others. What a privilege it is to actively do the same and become more like Him. I’m so thankful for the intentionality both my moms have in encouraging me, and I’m glad it’s a reminder to actively do the same.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Before the day gets busy, pray about whom you can encourage. Then go do it!
2. Challenge yourself to be an “active encourager” each day.

FURTHER READING:

Lexi is a new wife, serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood, and is a fourth grade teacher at Lake Country Christian Academy.


[1] Psalm 10:17
[2] Romans 15:5
[3] Ephesians 6:22
[4] 2 Corinthians 13:11a