Wednesday, August 15, 2012

“But I’m Not Bitter”
By Lisa Boyer

“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
Ephesians 4:31-32

I used to tell funny stories from my childhood but while telling some of them, I could hear how my voice sounded, so I would end the story with “but I’m not bitter!”  - - trying to make light of the fact that there was some bitterness still there. Over the years, God and I worked through those things and I let go of the bitterness. Now I can tell funny stories and they can just be funny. 

But it wasn’t so long ago that I couldn’t remember what bitter sounded like and the other day, I heard it again and it made me wince. But this time it wasn’t in my voice - - I heard it in my head.

I was driving down the highway explaining a particular injustice to God (also known as arguing with God, which I do not recommend) when I heard the bitterness. Worse yet, I was bitter over something I wasn’t even sure happened. I was bitter because of what I assume happened! I just didn’t know what to do about it.

So there I was driving down the highway, arguing with God and being bitter when I heard a still, small voice (actually it was a loud voice - - it had to be loud to be heard over the arguing), forgive. I then proceeded to inform God how unfair that would be. If I forgave without saying a word, wouldn’t they get away with what they did? Who is your bitterness hurting?  Aauuugghh!!! He was right. The only person I was hurting was myself. Not to mention the whole “IF you forgive others” verse in the Bible.

So, I did. I forgave. And possibly more importantly, I asked for forgiveness. Suddenly, I felt free. I like the feeling of free.

I know I made that sound so easy, but in reality, tears were involved (another thing I don’t recommend while driving down the highway). Yes, I still think an injustice has occurred, but I am so glad I’m not responsible for deciding that. I’m only responsible for my actions, decisions, attitude and (of course) response - - which is now forgiveness. 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you been harboring bitterness against someone deep in your heart? Today, will you, with God’s help, decide to forgive them?
2.  Without judging, is there someone you can share this with so they can be free?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for 20 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.