Friday, August 31, 2012

How do you love me?
By Jeannine Sawall

 “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”
Zephaniah 3:17

I was sitting on the boat in the middle of the lake, reflecting with a discouraged heart. Life had been full of difficulties and sorrows of late, and it had left me exhausted and disheartened. The many verses I knew about God’s love kept coming to mind. Verses that reminded me of His great love for me: Ephesians 2:4-5, Romans 5:8.  Verses about how He delights in me: Proverbs 8:31, Psalm 18:19.  Verses proclaiming I am his beloved daughter: 1 Samuel 12:22, Ephesians 5:1. Grumbling, I said under my breath, “Yeah…maybe His kinda-loved-just-a-little-bit daughter!”

I looked up and out, and noticed the boat was covered in a swarm of dragonflies. It was then that the Lord gently rebuked me and reminded me of His great love for me…not as second choice daughter or His last thought…but His every thought. Every dragonfly pair created a small heart. Imagine the entire vessel adorned with little blue hearts. He said to me, “How do I love you? Everything I created sings about my love for you. Even these dragonflies are my personal love letter to you.” Tears filled my eyes as I quietly confessed my doubts and discouragement to Him and thanked Him for His love letter.

Oftentimes in the midst of life, we can feel the Lord has forgotten about us. Or maybe not completely forgotten about us…but we aren’t on His list of top hundred (maybe million!) things for the day. We can question His love for us when tragedy strikes or we fall onto hard times. After all, if we  had the power to control all things, we wouldn’t let any beloved child experience the kind of trial or trouble that seems to plague this earth. Sometimes, just in our everyday busy-ness, we may doubt God really delights in us with His great love. We question if He really rejoices over us with singing. However, if we take a moment to look outside of ourselves and look up, we will be reminded of His great love through all the wonders He created with us in mind.   

When life brings doubts, ask the Lord to send assurances. He is faithful to lift us up. How does He love us….let me count the ways. He loves us so much that even dragonflies are His personal love letter!


GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you ever felt like God’s “kinda-loved-just-a-little-bit daughter”?  What do you do to capture and replace those thoughts?
2.  When you doubt God’s love for you, how do you bring your heart back in line?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is a wife and active mother of four boys. She works in property management and is a part of the Special Events team for Oakwood’s We Women ministries.