Monday, August 13, 2012

A Light Unto My Path
By Susan Klein

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
Psalm 119:105 (KJV)

One of my favorite childhood memories is when we used to chase after “lightning-bugs” (fireflies) and put them in a glass jar. After collecting a couple dozen or so, my neighborhood friends and I would put the jar to use as a flashlight which would illumine the path back to one of our houses. Once inside, we’d go sit in a dark closet and watch the tiny creatures emit their brilliant green glow. It was quite magical!

Recently, a pastor-friend of mine included the above verse in his sermon. He posed a challenging question to his hearers: “What good is a lamp (God’s word) unto my feet if I just stand there and look at it?” That gave me cause to reflect on my own life. What have I been doing with God’s Word lately? Do I just skim it sporadically? Am I reading it for the purpose of gaining head knowledge? Is it just becoming rote-reading, intellectual stimulation, or food for thought? What am I really doing with it?

The pastor went on to say, “It’s a light unto my path, so I move forward and act on it.” Like the jar of lightning bugs, I’m supposed to put God’s Word to use. James 1:22 reflects these same thoughts: Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says! (Emphasis mine)  God doesn’t intend for us to keep His Word to ourselves and use it solely to light our own personal path. Rather, He wants us to let His light (Word) shine as we walk along, so that others who are walking on dark paths may be exposed to His light (words) through our actions. We, like the lightning bugs, are the vessels He uses to light the way for others. God supplies the light for our path, but we must choose to act  on it. Just staring at the lamp on our own feet will not propel us to action. Jesus exhorts us in Matthew chapter 5 to let our light shine before men, that they may see our good deeds and praise our Father in heaven. Shining equals action!

I believe Dwight L. Moody sums it up well. “We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - - they just shine.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. How full is your “jar of lightning bugs”? Are you putting it to good use?
2. Whose path might need a little of your light?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is a We Women Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She and her husband Mark enjoy tutoring and working with inner-city youth.