Friday, December 6, 2013

I’m No Wonder Woman!
By Susan Klein

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”

I’m not old enough to remember the first publication of the DC Comic Book heroine Wonder Woman in 1942. I do, however, remember watching the TV series starring Lynda Carter in the late 1970’s. She was the embodiement of every young girl’s dream. She had a gorgeous figure, amazing superhuman powers, wore indestructable bracelets, carried a lasso to rope up the bad guys, and even donned a golden tiara. She was quite the superhero! Lynda Carter found that she was no Wonder Woman off-screen though, as she battled with and succumbed to alcoholism. [1]

Remembering that she’s just a figment of some man’s imagination, I still occasionally struggle with the image of Wonder Woman. I don’t have any amazing talents or special clothes that can do unique thing. I’m really rather ordinary by worldly standards. I haven’t made any claims to fame, haven’t discovered any miracle cures, and haven’t saved anyone from a burning building or a criminal attack. In fact, I’m not athletic, not musically inclined, nor do I have a remarkable career. Everthing in my life is pretty “average.” I’ll bet Wonder Woman never had an average day in her life. Oh, to spend one day in her shoes!

Keeping things in perspective, none of us are Wonder Women. Just as the creator of Wonder Woman had specific qualities in mind for her character, God created each of us exactly as He did for a purpose. Some are destined for greatness, others are not. He didn’t intend for me to be in the spotlight or to save millions from destruction. He intended for me to be the person I am, and He uses me “as is,” even if it means being ordinary. I’m okay with that, especially knowing I’m created in His image. After all, Scripture says that Jesus “made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant…” (Philippians 2:7). “He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him” (Isaiah 53:2b). He didn’t come to earth with all the bells and whistles of a star, just the qualities of an ordinary man. “He humbled Himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:8b)! These are poweful words to remember when we start to feel purposeless, and desire to be something we are not.

God makes no mistakes in His creation of us. Our response is to just humbly obey Him.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What unhealthy comparisons might you be making between yourself and someone else?
2.  Can you be “content” with the woman God has created you to be, trusting in His workmanship?

FURTHER READING:


Susan enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and mentoring. She and her husband Mark enjoy opening their home to those in need.