Monday, December 30, 2013

The Call
By Becci J. Terrill

…she believed the One who made the promise
would do what He said.”
Hebrews 11:11b (The Message)

It came when I least expected it, and frankly, wasn’t looking for it. My life was already full, but God had a different plan. He wanted me to follow Him in a new direction. Yes, it was a direction that I longed to go, but also secretly feared to tread. He knew that, but He also knew that if I followed Him our relationship would become stronger and sweeter. But that doesn’t come easily.

He cleared the obstacles in the path so my answer could be “Yes!” He gave me an overwhelming sense of joy in those first steps down the new path. He brought excitement and hope in the journey. Then the unthinkable happened. I lost my way!

When I realized this, panic welled up inside of me. I searched and searched to no avail. I couldn’t find the path! What had happened? How had I missed it? I stopped searching for the path and realized I needed the One who called me on the journey. He knew my problem. He knew my fear. His loving voice reassured me He had called me, so He would also lead me. I needed to keep my eyes on Him and not the path.

Peace flooded my soul. I couldn’t see the path, but my focus had changed. He had called. He promised to be with me. I moved forward again with slower steps, holding His hand and listening for His voice.

The devil whispered in my ear. He undermined my confidence and caused me to doubt my ability to follow the call. He suggested unhealthy ways to escape and save myself from failure and humiliation.

The Holy Spirit inside cried out, “No! Get away from me. You have no power here.” Healing words of Scripture soothed my wounded soul. I started out again on the journey.

I haven’t arrived at the destination yet. I don’t know what it looks like, but I can see the lights in the distance and know God will get me there. I have not overcome all of my fears, but I am clinging to the One who has called me and the promises that He gives me every day - - He won’t leave me and He will guide me on each step of the journey. I am learning to believe those promises more and more.

I think we call that faith.

GOING DEEPER:
1. God loves calling people to do things they cannot do on their own. What is He calling you to do? Will you trust Him and obey?

FURTHER READING:
Read Hebrews 11 for a look at lives of faith.  

Becci is a wife and mother of two adult daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove, WI. She serves as WE Women’s Special Events Coordinator and teaches 4th grade Sunday School.