Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Sacrifice of “the Gift”
By Jen Wollner

“…the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son…”

‘Tis the season of gift-giving. And, let me tell you, I’ve been working my tail off! Going from store to store to find the perfect gift for everyone on my list takes a lot of time and energy. I’ve spent countless hours planning, researching and shopping. Not to mention handing over fistfuls of cash! Okay, not cash exactly, but the credit card bill adds up quickly!

Don’t get me wrong. I’m grateful to have the means to be able to shower my loved ones with various Christmas presents. And the joy I receive in giving is absolutely worth the effort. But, let’s be honest, the blessing comes with a bit of sacrifice, too. I’m using just about all of my free time and literally losing sleep to get ready for Christmas. I’m giving up hard-earned money, even sacrificing many hours of my mental and physical energy to earn extra money to pay for a special gift this year.

What about you? What are you sacrificing in order to give your friends and family precious gifts this Christmas? No gift is free. All gifts cost the giver in some way. There’s always something given up in order to bless someone else.

At this time of year, we often hear the analogy that Jesus is “the Gift” of Christmas. We’re encouraged to focus on a baby in a manger and the life He would ultimately give up. But what about the sacrifice before the Cross? The one that started in Mary’s womb? Have you ever thought about what Jesus gave up to come here? Have you pondered the sacrifice He made just to become human? Christmas…the very birth of Jesus…came at great personal cost.

Jesus left His Father. He gave up His crown. He sacrificed His majesty. He said good-bye to His perfect home and chose to come into a dark, sinful world. And He did it with great joy, knowing His obedience to His Father’s will would be worth it. You see, He gave up Heaven, so that someday, you could have it.

Now that’s sacrificial giving.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Spend some quiet time with Jesus today, thanking Him for the sacrifice of His birth.
2. How can you demonstrate sacrificial giving this Christmas to someone in need?

FURTHER READING:

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three elementary aged children. She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.