Friday, December 13, 2013


Who Are Your Companions?
By Susan Klein

“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.”

What a blessing when God gives us friends and acquaintances to share in our life journey! Some of my friends have been around a long time, others have come and gone. Most have been a huge blessing to me in one way, shape or form.

There is one, however, that shows up in my life every now and then, usually when I least expect her. Fortunately, she doesn’t tend to hang around too long. She is not really my friend, and there are no blessings to be gleaned from her presence. In fact, I loathe  her. Yes, you read correctly. I really wish I could be rid of her once and for all. Her name is Susie Self-Righteous. I generally cross paths with her in  my mirror. One day, she just shows up out of the blue, filling my head with ugliness. She follows me around, comparing herself to others and looking for faults so as to boost her own self-worth. When I ask her to leave, she usually does. But then, when I’m not expecting it, she rears her ugly head again.

Don’t we all have those loathesome companions that we wish we could be rid of? Perhaps it’s Betty Biting Tongue, or Gertrude Gossip. Whoever she is, we must be careful not to make her our lifelong pal. Though the above verse speaks specifically of other people we associate with, it can apply to our own selves as well. If we are only careful about the friends we make, but not about the person we are, we can actually suffer harm. Sin is destructive.

Fortunately, we have a truth we can cling to. “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17) We are new creatures in Christ! We have been made holy. Then why do we still have these awful companions hanging around? I think it’s because we don’t exercise the power we have to make them leave. Jesus has left His Holy Spirit to be our companion. He is the best friend we could ask for, yet we tend to forget we have Him dwelling inside us. He is always available to guide, to reprove, and to offer us wise counsel. He desires to replace Susie Self-Righteous with Humility and Love. He wants to kick out Betty Biting Tongue and offer Kindness and Goodness in her place. All we have to do is engage His help.

So, who are your companions?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you plagued by any sinful companions/bad habits?
2. What steps will you take to make sure you “walk with the wise”?

FURTHER READING:

Susan enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing and mentoring. She and her husband Mark enjoy opening their home to those in need; and they are part of Oakwood’s Wednesday Night Community leadership, taking a group through 1 & 2 Corinthians starting in January.