Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Surround Sound Fear
By Elin Henderson

“…Fear is on every side…”

When I make my rare appearances at the movie theater, I am always reminded of the reason I don’t have a surround sound entertainment system in my living room! The movie, whether it is Despicable Me 2 or Captain Phillips, comes to life in such a way that you feel like you can’t escape! The sound is coming at you from every angle and you can feel it in your very being.  I don’t need that kind of “entertaining” intensity in my life! 

Sometimes, we can experience a surround sound FEAR. From every side and every angle, the enemy is coming at us, and with him comes his weapon of fear. There is no apparent escape or way out. The theater doors are closed, we are stuck in our row and the noise just keeps getting closer and louder! 

The Old Testament shepherd/king David well knew what it was like to live with surround sound fear. Many a time he had to run for his life and even fight for his life. Things were said to him and about him. Whether it was perceived or real, his (and at times our) fear can be overpowering. 

Did David remain there, overpowered by fear? No!  Verse 14 says, “But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my God’.”  He called out to God and ran to Him for shelter and safety. He knew that in the midst of surround sound fear there was a cleft in the rock where God’s hand would hide and protect him.    

So, next time you, like the hymn writer below, experience surround sound fear, may you cling to the Hand of Him who is all your hope and stay! 

“When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.”
-Keith W. Ward [1]
         
GOING DEEPER:                                               
1. Are there some fears in your life that have grown to “surround sound” – gradually or even quickly? 
2. How does knowing God’s protection over you and loving hand under you, help to allay those fears?    

FURTHER READING:

Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson (a registered nurse) and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa.  Elin is mother to thirteen-year-old Callie and eleven-year-old Elias. They are currently in America on Home Assignment.