Monday, December 2, 2013

The Gift of Service
By Brita Crouse

“...So He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him.”

I love carrying out my family’s Christmastime traditions. We do the same things every year, and that is part of why I love the holiday season. One year though, our plans changed...and I was not happy about it. My attitude about this change in plans was very selfish. But, changing traditions turned out to be a gift!

The first year our Christmas traditions changed, my family helped serve a meal at a local homeless shelter. I was out of my comfort zone and worried about how to relate. However, my worries faded as I began having conversations with the people we were serving. They were just like me: desperately in need of a Savior. (I didn’t know this at the time, but I would eventually work for this very homeless shelter that made me so uncomfortable. An incredible gift!)

This first year of changing traditions was a catalyst for future Christmases. Since serving at the homeless shelter, my family has served our church family on Christmas Eve, given presents to the needy and welcomed people from other countries into our home to celebrate Christmas with us. I don’t share these things to make my family “look good,” but rather to show the arc of progression in my own attitude. 

The life of Jesus is our greatest example of a servant heart. He never complained about helping people, He just did it because He loved them. We see this especially when He humbles Himself to wash the feet of His disciples. He is God, yet He desires to serve others. We should also bear that attitude of service.

I initially had a horrible attitude about serving others when they were encroaching on my family’s traditions. But as I began to serve and see the people I was serving through the eyes of Jesus, I realized there is nothing else I would rather be doing. I now understand it is much better to give than to receive! Jesus calls us to serve others, so by obeying this call, we have the opportunity to represent Jesus well.

As we move into this holiday season, let us look for opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Let us serve one another in brotherly love. An act of service just may be the best gift you could ever give.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What things stop you from serving others?
2.  How can you serve others this holiday season?

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, and is currently a helper for Oakwood’s Quest 56 and the Just Among Moms weekly childcare team.