Thursday, December 5, 2013

In His Image
By Tracy Smith

“So God created mankind in his own image, 
in the image of God he created them; 
male and female he created them.”

The older my oldest son gets, the more he looks like my dad. At the same time, he has certain facial expressions and mannerisms that are exactly like my husband. My youngest son is left-handed, just like his paternal grandma and maternal great-aunt. My nephew looks like and walks exactly like his dad. My niece is the spitting image of my sister, who is the spitting image of my mom.

Genetics has always fascinated me. I love looking at families and seeing who looks like who and who has whose mannerisms, way of walking, etc. Beyond looks, there are also personality traits that you will see reflected in family members. Kids look up to and imitate their parents.

When I am out in the world, do I look like and act like my Father? Genesis 1:27 says we are made in God’s image. Do I reflect who He is to those around me? Do I make an effort to represent my Father well?

In order to do that, I need to dig into the Word and see our Lord's character traits that I should be emulating:


When my son is out in public with my dad, it is obvious he is related. Do my actions show others that I belong to God?

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Will you commit to studying His Word in order to know our Lord better so you can represent Him well?
2.  Is there one specific trait you know you struggle with representing well? Will you pray that the Lord will help you with this?

FURTHER READING:

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.