Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Changing Channels
By Stephanie LaCasse
 
But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.
 
 
"Where is it? Where on earth did I put it?"
 
Becoming increasingly frustrated, I ran around my house searching for the TV remote... for what seemed like hours. It wasn't until I was looking in the diaper bag up in one of the bedrooms that the Lord tapped me on the shoulder. You should be seeking Me, not seeking the remote.
 
”Yeah, yeah, Lord.  In a minute. I just have to find that remote.”
 
It wasn't until I lost the remote for the second time (in one day) that it occurred to me that maybe the Lord really was trying to teach me something. In Deuteronomy 4, the Lord says we will find Him when we seek Him with all of our heart. Not just a little bit of our heart, or even half of our heart on Sunday morning... all of our heart.
 
Was I seeking the remote with all my heart? I believe so. I was determined to find that remote.  But the remote doesn't care about me the way the Lord does. The remote doesn't care whether I sit with it and pray to it. I know how ridiculous that sounds, but just humor me.
 
It had been a very busy day. I know you all have had them. But as I sat and read my Bible later on, I knew that was where the Lord was trying to draw me...to sit with Him and pray to Him. When we are "weary and burdened," He calls us to come to Him for rest (Matthew 11:28). To seek Him and His will with our whole heart.
 
We WILL find him when we seek Him with all our heart. Not, we might find Him. Not maybe, if we have our life cleaned up. We WILL. Search for Him. Seek Him. And you WILL find what you are looking for. 
 
GOING DEEPER:
1.       What do you seek each day? To be admired? Fame? Fortune?
2.      What would happen if you dedicated yourself to reading and seeking God for ten or even five minutes a day?
 
FURTHER READING:
 
Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.