Monday, February 8, 2016

Safe In His Hand
By Jeannine Sawall


“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”


Once I was shopping with my then-nine-year-old son. We had parked the car, gotten out, and were walking toward the store through a busy parking lot. As we rounded the car and headed out into the busy thoroughfare, his hand reached up and linked with mine. I looked down at his little red head and smiled. I said to him, “Josh, I like holding your hand…how much longer do you think you will want to hold mine when we walk?”  He took a moment to ponder the question and responded, “I think when I’m ten, then I’ll be okay to walk by myself. When I’m ten, I will know how to be safe.”

His simple answer brought tears to my eyes. Not because the day when he felt he would be safe and didn’t need to hold my hand was coming sooner rather than later, but because he knew my hand was there to provide safety and comfort. Walking in that busy parking lot with our hands linked meant he did not have to fear; his mom was there to protect him. He no longer had to be dismayed or worried, since I would not let him go where he would get hurt. I loved knowing he knew that!

It wasn’t too many days later, I came upon the verse in Isaiah and the Lord impressed upon me that He has His hand out, ready to protect me, to help me, to strengthen me…and all I have to do is rest in it. It was such a startling picture in my mind - - imagining my hand linked with God’s, knowing I did not have to be afraid of or worry about anything. Being assured that He is always there, offering that same love and concern I had offered to my child.

As much as we love and protect our children, doing whatever we can to make them feel loved, safe and secure, the Lord is there providing the same love, protection and care…only infinitely more than we can even imagine. He says, “Do not  fear or be dismayed.” He wants us to have that same sense of security in Him that our children have in us. Whatever you have going on in your life, reach out and grab the Father’s hand; He won’t let you go where His hand can’t safely keep you.


GOING DEEPER:

1.  What in your life causes you to be dismayed or fearful?
2.  Do you trust the Father to keep you safely in His hand?

FURTHER READING:


Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in the property management business. Jeannine serves in the Oakwood Cafe and is actively involved in ministry to those walking through grief.