Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Coach
by Becci Terrill

“The Helper is the Holy Spirit. The Father will send Him in My place.
He will teach you everything and help you remember everything I have told you.

John 14:26 (NLV)


I recently had the opportunity to learn a new sport: curling. I knew nothing about this game, so I listened closely to the instructors as they explained what each piece of equipment was and demonstrated how they were to be used.

The hard part came when I had to actually DO what the instructor said. I got down on the ice, put one foot on the “slider shoe” and the other on the push off spot. I took hold of the stone in one hand and balanced myself on the stand with the other. Then I froze. Now what?

Thankfully, Neil, my coach, was right by my side. He spoke calmly and clearly, instructing me and showing me just what to do with my legs and my hands  - - how to push off, slide, and when to let go of the stone.

It wasn’t pretty, but I did it. And as Neil continued to coach me through each part of the action, each time became better. He corrected me, complimented me and gave me confidence.

As I reflected on my experience, I was reminded of another “coach” in my life - - One who never leaves me.  He is constantly available to guide, correct and give me the courage and confidence that I need every moment.

During His ministry, Jesus trained and taught His disciples, so they could continue His work after He had gone back to heaven. He knew they would have hard times and difficulty remembering what He had taught them, so He promised to send a “Helper” - -  a coach  - - who would help them and teach them every second.

Thankfully, the gift of the Holy Spirit wasn’t only for Jesus’ twelve apostles, but for ALL who believe in Jesus. I’m so glad that Jesus understood how much I would need His presence and guidance in my life!

Just as Neil helped me understand and participate in the sport of curling, the Holy Spirit speaks to me each day, teaching me and showing me what Jesus wants me to do. If I don’t listen, or if I ignore what He says, the results aren’t good. Thankfully, He is patient and forgiving and always wants what is best for me.

By the way, I may never go curling again…but if I do, I definitely want my coach by my side telling me what to do!   


GOING DEEPER:
  1. Listen to Aaron Shust’s song, “Watch Over Me” for another reminder of God’s presence.
  2. Don’t know much about the Holy Spirit and His work in the lives of believers? I recommend reading Forgotten God  by Francis Chan.

FURTHER READING:

Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children’s Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.