Thursday, February 18, 2016

When I Look at the Stars
By Brita Crouse

“When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is man that You are mindful of him, the son of man that You care for him?”

I live in the city, with bright lights, noisy cars, and plenty of pollution to go around. Don’t get me wrong, there are benefits to living in a city, like public transportation, being conveniently located around shops and restaurants, and always having something to do. But, as someone who grew up living in the country, city life has been an adjustment for me. I miss trees and grass and having a yard. The thing I miss most though, is looking up at the night sky to find it illuminated with stars.

Something about seeing a great, big sky teeming with glowing stars makes me feel small, makes me remember there is more to this life than just me and my problems. When I look at the stars I am reminded of the One who created them.

On a recent trip home to visit my family, I had a sacred, special moment with God while admiring His stars. Some of my siblings and I had just gotten back to my parents’ house after a busy day. I was feeling exhausted, not only physically, but emotionally and mentally, as well. I stepped out of the car after we had parked in the driveway and glanced toward the sky. There I saw them: constellations I had studied and memorized, dimly glowing orbs and brightly shining ones, a canopy of sparkly confetti overhead. There I remembered: The universe is a reflection of God’s creativity, His awesomeness, and His love for us.

God is great and we are small, yet He finds each of us significant and unique, connecting with us in different ways. We can see this when we look at the stars or other parts of His creation.

When I was caught in that moment with God and the stars, I was reminded of these lyrics:

“When I look at the stars
I see Someone else
When I look at the stars
I feel like myself” [1]

When I look at the stars, I see the work of God. When I look at the stars, I am given perspective and reminded of my purpose.

Let us take the time to look at the stars and be reminded of God’s greatness, our purpose, and His love for us.

GOING DEEPER:
1.       What do you feel when you look at the stars or other parts of God’s creation? Take time to stop and praise Him in those moments.

FURTHER READING:


Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.

[1] Switchfoot. “Stars.” Nothing is Sound. Sony, 2005. CD.