Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Putting Your Armor On – Part 2
By Peggy Kleckner

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”

Today, we finish a prayer I wrote - - based on Scripture - - to help us commit to living the familiar principles in Ephesians 6. [1]

Help me to take up the shield of faith - -  not to cower in the corner - - but to boldly hold up my shield to extinguish the flaming arrows that are thrown at me today. Your Word promises that my shield will extinguish them ALL! Remind me that you are who You say you are, you can do what you say you can do, I am who you say I am, no more and no less. You define me; no one else does. I can do all things through Christ…. Whatever you give me to do today, you will enable me to do, and your Word is alive and active in me. You are changing me from glory to glory. You will bring me into fruitfulness in your good timing. Lord, grow my faith and help my unbelief! [2]

Lastly Lord, help me to take up the sword of truth, your Word….sharper than any two-edged sword. Help me to use it to discern truth from error, fact from fiction, right from wrong. Help me to use it to shine your light in dark places, not to clobber people over the head with it. Remind me that your Word will stand and that every jot and tittle will be completed.

Lord, having been fully clothed in your armor, help me to stand firm in whatever battle position you give me today. Remind me that I stand shoulder to shoulder with my brothers and sisters in Christ and though we may be few, with you we are many. Help me to be bold and courageous. Help me to be listening for your orders and to quickly bend the knee at your command, to move forward when you tell me to, and to always be at the ready. Remind me that the battle is yours.

Amen.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How have you seen and witnessed God’s help in the midst of battle?
2. What part of your armor needs some refining?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.

[1] Did you miss the first part of this prayer? You can check out yesterday’s devo on the Oakwood Fresh Start blog at http://oakwoodfreshstart.blogspot.com/


[2] ideas derived from Beth Moore, Believing God  (Nashville: LifeWay, 2003).