Thursday, February 11, 2016

On Things Above
By Brita Crouse

“Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”

"I see Your face in every sunrise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say
You're beautiful”

This past semester, I started working as a school counseling intern. Because I was working in schools, I was usually off to work before sunrise. I love sleep…which made these early mornings difficult. So on my drive into work, I always put in a CD with songs full of worship to “set my mind” before I started my day.

"I see Your power in the moonlit night
Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright
We are amazed in the light of the stars
It's all proclaiming who You are
You're beautiful”

On top of two internships, I also had to attend night classes. So I’d start my day in darkness and end my day walking home from class in the dark. I spent many of these walks talking to God to “set my mind” about the work I had to do when I got home.

“When we arrive at eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we'll sing
You're beautiful” [1]

During that same semester, I also experienced a personal trial. I wasn’t sure how that would impact my work and life as a student. But with God’s strength and the comfort of others, I was able to “set my mind” and make it through.

"I see You there hanging on a tree
You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me
Now You are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You're beautiful”

Working as a school counselor, I heard about the experiences of my students. While some were good, I heard many horrible things my students have faced. It was easy to be weighed down by this information. So I took comfort in God’s Word and the people He has surrounded me with to “set my mind.”

If there is one thing I am continuing to learn, it is the importance of setting my mind on things above. Earthly things: monotony, complaining, stress or worry can be dangerous. But when we fix our eyes on God, we can “set our minds” to things above.


GOING DEEPER:
1.       What actions can you take to help you set your mind on the things of God?
2.       Listen to “You’re Beautiful" by Phil Wickham Click HERE to listen to it. 
FURTHER READING:

Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.


[1] Phil Wickham. “You’re Beautiful.” Cannons. Fair Trade Services, 2007.