Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Right Hand
By Vernette Kureck

“Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel and afterward you will take me into glory.”

Oh, how sweet it is to feel a little hand slip into my hand. Children will often reach up to grandparents or parents with an outstretched arm so you will grab their hand and guide them. It is a great feeling of security. Many times there is even an anticipation and excitement as to where you are taking them. 

Even sweeter is to see an elderly couple that has been married many, many years showing their love and affection by holding hands. It is an intimate bond that reflects their special relationship and demonstrates how, together, they are stronger and complete each other. This expression of tenderness warms the viewer’s heart.

Then there is the sweetest expression of hand-holding. Our Heavenly Father extends His right hand for us to hold. With that connection, we receive intimacy, guidance, provision and security. Psalm 145:16 says, “You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.” And Psalm 31:15: “My times are in your hands.”  We can be comforted and excited, anticipating the green pastures He promises to lead us to. Let us lift up our hands in prayer and thank our Creator for His everlasting love, and, like the biblical psalmist David, be filled with joy in His presence.  

“Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup, you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; and my body will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.  You have made known to me the path of life; you fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand” (Psalm 16: 5-11). Thank you, Lord.  Amen.

 GOING DEEPER:
1.  Whose hand have you been holding?

FURTHER READING:


Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 46 years. Their two married sons have blessed them with eight grandchildren.