Monday, February 22, 2016

Putting Your Armor On – Part 1
By Peggy Kleckner

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”

I was with a group of women when I shared a way of praying through the pieces of armor that Scripture says we are to wear. Weakness is not a bad thing; it leads us to look to Christ for His provision and protection. After sharing my thoughts verbally, several of the women asked me if I had written it out. Since they asked me to do so, I did. For me, writing these truths as a prayer helped me to commit to living these familiar principles. That was several years ago, yet His truth is always a reminder of where God has walked with me:

Lord, today is a new day and the battle continues. Please help me to put on my armor.

Place on my head the helmet of salvation. Keep me grateful for my salvation; for all that you gave, because you cared for me. Remind me that my name card is already in place at the banquet table and that this life is not all there is. There is so much more in you. Protect my mind from the evil one, who seeks to destroy me there. Help me to take every thought captive to you, because your Word promises me that I can. Help me to know which thoughts to hold on to and which ones to release because they are not of you. Stay my mind on you. I can’t do that on my own.

Next, place on me the breastplate of righteousness - - your righteousness - - not my own…my own is as filthy rags. Help me to accept your plan: I stand in Your righteousness. Protect my heart, bind up the wounded places, soften the callused places and bring me into fullness to reflect your glory, a fullness that can only come from you. Pull out the weeds in my heart and nurture the good seed, which you have planted in me.

Gird my loins with the belt of truth. Hem me in, hold me together and hold me fast. Help me to recognize and stay within the boundaries which you have set for my good. Strengthen my back and my legs for the work of this day, whatever it holds.

Shod my feet in shoes of peace. Quiet my fears and bring me into your stillness.  Remind me that you are larger than all of my fears stacked one upon the other…

May we be a people that earnestly pray for His presence as our armor. We’ll finish the prayer tomorrow.

GOING DEPPER:
1. What parts of God’s truth stood out to you?
2. Of what parts do you need to commit to continually remind yourself this week?

FURTHER READING:


Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.