Wednesday, June 13, 2018


A New Perspective
By Susan Klein

“’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.”

Driving through northern Pennsylvania to Buffalo, NY, the terrain is very rural. Small townships and scattered farms dot the landscape. No major highways, no bustling metropolises, so I immersed myself in a good book whilst the hubby chauffeured.

Glancing up at one point, I caught sight of a sign that read: “Valley View Estates.” As I peered past the sign expecting to see magnificent homes, all I could see were a few trailers scattered about a parcel of land. My husband, noticing the same, chuckled with me as we voiced aloud, “Estates?!”  Shaking my head, I went back to my book.

A few minutes passed before the light bulb clicked on. Maybe these felt like estates to some people, especially if they lived in smaller homes or more crowded conditions. These trailers looked new and of a decent size. They were even spread out with a little land between them. Who was I to say that they couldn’t be considered “estates”?

Sometimes our perspectives can sway us into thinking that there is only one true viewpoint. For example, behind my house are many trees that extend approximately 150 yards down a hill. Having been a city girl most of my life, my perspective is that we now have a beautiful “forest” out back. Some neighbors prefer to call it “the woods,” and others who live on larger acreage might refer to it as simply “a tree line.” We all have different (none necessarily wrong) perspectives of this group of trees.

The same can be true about our religious perspectives. Where some perceive the house of God to be a place of reverential knee-bowing and solemn acts steeped in tradition, others may perceive the church to be a place of boisterous expression or speaking in tongues. Still others may perceive it to be a casual place where all feel free to worship any way they feel most comfortable.

Our perspectives typically derive from our experiences, upbringing or personal preferences. But perspective can also mean the ability to consider things in relation to one another accurately and fairly. [1]

I’m grateful for coming across that little sign out in the middle of nowhere. It has given me a new perspective and helped me to be more open-minded. While we never want to compromise solid biblical truths, we may want to consider how God might be giving people differing perspectives in order to meet their needs and to ultimately fulfill His greater purpose.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What impacts your personal viewpoints?
2. Are you open to considering new perspectives?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and co-leads an in-home small group. She serves as a mentor to young women, and is a member of Oakwood’s Peace Team, helping people work through conflict.

[1] Cambridge Dictionary