Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Fair, Not Equal
By Lexi Cole Ellis


“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”


I learned this phrase when I was student teaching and have used it quite a bit in my classroom. Whether it’s a first grade room or fourth graders, there seems three little words I hear about six times a day.  “That’s not fair!”  To which, I calmly reply, “I will always be fair; I will not always be equal.” There’s a big thing in education called differentiation: It means we assess individual needs and address them. But my six-year-olds struggle with it. So to reinforce it, we do a skit. A doctor is visiting three sick patients. The first patient has a headache. The doctor says, “Go to bed early tonight.  It will be better.” Next patient has a broken arm. The doctor says, “Go to bed early tonight.  It will be better.” Third patient fell on the playground. The doctor says…you get the idea. We explain that the teacher is the doctor. Every student has different academic needs for learning. We need to “treat” his or her specific needs, not do the exact same thing for everyone.

For as much as I say my phrase and do my skit, I realized how often I am the six-year-old complaining, “That’s not fair!” It’s often not out loud, but in my thoughts. And yet, our God - - the great Doctor and Teacher - - looks on us with love and says gently, “I will treat your specific needs...it won’t be equal and, fortunately for you, I’ll give you far more than what’s fair!” He reminds us that He is the Giver and Supplier; that He is a God who knows exactly what we need, when we need it, even when we do not.

For me, it’s hard enough being aware of what slips out of my mouth…being responsible for what I think is tricky! But the reality is, our God is all-knowing…and my “it’s not fair” thoughts are a direct result of an ungrateful heart condition. Judging “fairness” is not my job and, left unchecked, these thoughts can become desires to “have something which we don’t have, but think we should”…which happens to be the exact definition of coveting, an identified sin in Scripture.

No matter the age, my kids love the “It’s not fair!” line. But the reality is, I often do, too. What things am I complainingly claiming are “unfair”? And, if I’m honest with myself, what does that reveal about my heart? I still say “I will always be fair; I will not always be equal” about six times a day…and it serves as a constant reminder for myself every time.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What things are you claiming as “unfair” in your thoughts or to God?
2. Identify what you need to do to address this.

FURTHER READING:
Lexi and her husband, Andrew, recently became new parents and have an adorable dog. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing and serves with Children’s Ministries.