Monday, June 18, 2018


“This is Me”
By Tracy Smith

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.”

I recently saw the musical The Greatest Showman. While I understand that the movie was highly fictionalized, I enjoyed the idea of a person giving the marginalized in the world a place to belong.

After I saw the movie, I was talking to my youngest son (who had only heard the soundtrack) about our favorite songs. We each had a different favorite - - until he saw the movie. There is something powerful in seeing music paired with a story, and that power changed his favorite song to the same as mine: “This Is Me.”

In the movie, Barnum gives the hidden, marginalized people in the world… a place to shine. A place to feel that they are important. That they matter. That they contribute to the world. But then, Barnum temporarily loses his way and publicly rejects those he had previously accepted. It is at this moment that the Bearded Lady sings:

I am not a stranger to the dark
Hide away, they say
'Cause we don't want your broken parts
I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars…
No one'll love you as you are
But I won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me…
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me”
[emphasis mine, 1]

What the movie is missing though is why we are glorious. We are glorious because that is who God made us to be. [2] We are the work of His hands, and each one of us is given unique talents and strengths to be used in order to further His Kingdom. [3]

Beyond what this means for us personally, this should also change how we treat others. Recently, our pastor did a sermon on Genesis 1:27. He explained that we are all created in God’s image…ALL. One of the points in his sermon was, “Every person is to be treated with dignity and respect.”
[4]

I think this idea resonated with me while I watched this movie. We are ALL glorious because God made each of us that way. And because of that, we should treat everyone with dignity and respect.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  When interacting with someone different than yourself, what can you do to remember to treat him or her with respect?

FURTHER READING:



Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage sons, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood and works with a great group of Junior High girls.